Journal of computing related issues for Web Authoring, and general topics using Mac, Windows and Linux platforms.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Linux Laptop Wireless (cont.)

Earlier post I described how with Live Simply MEPIS 6.0 CD I managed to boot Linux on my Laptop and access Internet via wireless connection to my ADSL modem/router. Unfortunately after initial success this stopped working. Not sure why, but I had been trying other Linux Live CDs and perhaps
this was cause?



Anyway I visited
http://www.mepis.org


and downloaded the ftp://ftp.ukc.mirrorservice.org/sites/mepis.org/testing/SimplyMEPIS-CD_6.5.rc3_32.iso

built CD with Nero and booted up lap top.



Internet access did not work, not surprising as wireless needs WEP key. Therefore do the following


  1. Choose main KDE tab,

  2. Systems Settings,

  3. Internet & Networking,

  4. Mepis Network Assistant


    1. At this point Password for ROOT needed (this is root)



  5. Select Wireless Tab


    1. Select WEP encryption

    2. Enter WEP key


  6. Select Interfaces Tab


    1. Select ath0

    2. Select Start/restart on Apply

    3. Select Apply (at bottom)





Receive warning message saying something like "With most cards may take 15 sec before ready, for some cards may have to reboot"


Now I still want to try and boot from flash memory USB so that I can customise system, and/or remote USB attached hard drive.

No comments:

About Me

Husband, dad and grandad. Physics graduate from London University in late 60s. Retired from IBM company in 2000 after 27 years as both Sytems Engineer and Salesman. Interests include photography, nature, science, maths, walking, travel. I like facts as a basis of opinion and not opinion that is assumed to be fact.