Journal of computing related issues for Web Authoring, and general topics using Mac, Windows and Linux platforms.

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Linux Live Boot on Notebook with Wireless

I have over recent months been looking for best method of running Linux on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L7310GW notebook without changing hard drive as I am not confident enough yet to risk damaging working XP system. So I want to build live boot ultimately off USB 2GB Pen Drive.

So I have tried various live CD boots and except Mepis I have not been able to get wireless to work. Mepis was OK but I could not get it to run on a high resolution screen.

Yesterday I bought August edition of Linux Format magazine and tried the PCLinuxOS on the DVD. Booted up fine and after wireless set to correct WPA key connected OK. (I had to switch off IPv6 in Firefox, as I have to do with all new distros to get Firefox to work see http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox
One day I will find out what IPv6 is and why I have to disable it!

Changed resolution to 1280 x 1024 in Control Centre. However when I right click desktop and check here it says resolution is 1024x768 which looks more correct.

Only problem is that I do not see USB Pendrive when I insert it.

PCLinuxOS MiniMe
This has instructions on how to use USB Pendrive to live boot from

My PCLinuxOS
This well written log appears to be written by person travelling along same path as me so I will check it out in detail, especially hgow he/she made Pendrive boot.

No comments:

About Me

Husband, dad and grandad. Physics graduate from London University in late 60s. Retired from IBM company in 2000 after 27 years as both Sytems Engineer and Salesman. Interests include photography, nature, science, maths, walking, travel. I like facts as a basis of opinion and not opinion that is assumed to be fact.